International Secondary school graduates between the ages of 17 and 23 can participate in university-level academic exchange programs at community colleges across the United States. Students can choose between a semester or year-long English Language Program, the Academic Semester Program, or the academic-year Certificate Program. A two-year degree Program is also offered, where students live independently in apartments during the second year.
If you have completed secondary level school in your country and would like to undertake your undergraduate (post-secondary) level studies in the United States, the YFU Community College Program might just be what you are looking for.
The YFU Community College Program provides students from around the globe with the opportunity to pursue college level academic studies while living with a carefully selected host family in a community reflecting American values.
YFU has partnered with a number of community colleges across the USA that offer academic course work, have earned regional accreditation requirements, and have committed the resources of a campus coordinator to assist YFU students.
The YFU Community College Program matches your needs and objectives with the strengths and programs available at participating colleges. The Community College Program staff reviews your application to find the college that matches your educational goals with the specific strengths and academic programs offered.
Program orientations and Cultural Enrichment activities are arranged for you and approximately five to twenty other YFU students from around the world. You will not only learn your preferred field of study, but also about life in the U.S. and your surrounding community. You may also have the opportunity to take courses in a variety of subjects in order to explore your interests and expand your knowledge.
YOU MAY STUDY IN THE USA THROUGH ONE OF OUR TWO PROGRAMS
English Language Program
This intensive English as a Second Language (ESL) and homestay experience is designed to improve English language skills. The one-semester program begins in August or early January. An academic year of ESL begins in August. The program includes 15 hours of intensive English language instruction per academic session (non-credit program).
This two-year Associate Degree program is designed to provide career skills for those who are returning home, while also offering transferability of credits to a U.S. four-year college or university. After living with a host family the first academic year, students live independently in apartments during their second year, at their own expense. The program includes a total of 60 credit hours of tuition and begins each August. Degrees are offered in many areas, including Arts & Sciences, Criminal Justice, Computer Science/Information Technology, Education, Communications, and Business Administration.
Applicants to the YFU Community College Program must demonstrate the following in order to be accepted
- Graduation from secondary school
- Strong academic record
- English language proficiency (except for the English Language Program)
- Motivation to excel in academic or career courses
- Commitment to the host or mentor family experience
- Self-responsibility, self-direction, and maturity
- Readiness for a cross cultural exchange experience
- Candidates applying to the program must be between 17 and 23 years of age at the time of arrival and demonstrate pride in their culture and respect for cultural diversity. Applicants take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) to demonstrate English Language level, submit a comprehensive application and personal essays, and take part in face-to-face interviews to determine motivation and readiness for both homestay exchange and college-level work.